The Magnolia Grove Plantation was acquired in 1827 by Pierre Jacques Florentin Jorda, of Spanish descent from the town of Seville. The plantation was composed of 19 arpents frontage on both banks of Bayou Terre-aux-Boeufs. Besides the main house, the complex had many out buildings, which included a sugar mill and cabins for slaves.
Pierre Jorda’s mother was a Reggio, whose family had sugar plantations that spanned St. Bernard Parish, Plaquemines Parish and beyond. Jorda’s descendants remained active community leaders in St. Bernard throughout the 19th century and The Magnolia Grove plantation survives today.